In 1922 the Conservators acquired for the Commons an additional 42 acres of land. The site, which formed part of Newlands Farm, is situated to the south east of the A3/Roehampton Vale and is now called the Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields. A five-acre portion of this land was landscaped as a War Memorial Grove. The centre piece of this site is a monument created in granite and consisting of a 20 foot cross set on three tiers and mounted on a raised octagonal base. The monument is inscribed with the names of local men who gave their lives for their country in the Great War of 1914-1918. The memorial was officially dedicated on 15 July 1925 and the site later named after Mr Richardson Evans, who was instrumental in securing the land for the public.
The monument is situated in the far corner of the playing fields close to the southern end of Stag Lane. A hedgerow of holly and hawthorn surrounds the site and its inner rings of broadleaved trees. Situated off the beaten track, this memorial remains one of the Commons' less-known features. Despite its relative obscurity, the monument remains an impressive creation and one that the Conservators are pledged to maintain.
Although structurally sound, the inscriptions have eroded and are unreadable as a result of vandalism and weathering. It was fortunate that a record of the names was held by the Wimbledon Society and it was able to provide the Conservators with a full list of the 114 names, military ranks, serial numbers and units. The Commons Conservators have agreed to fund the restoration of the inscriptions and the work will be carried out by Andrew Holmes & Son of Twickenham.
The names of the fallen are being engraved on eight granite panels and these will be attached to the monument. An application to the British Legion and the Ministry of Defence for a contribution towards the overall costs of £10,000 drew a blank. The memorial garden has already received a facelift; this involved the removal of invasive bramble and the felling or pruning of the site's mature trees. Work was completed in August 2006. Over the next two years replacement trees in the form of three-metre high saplings will be planted where space allows.