The Commons present a challenging course perfect for this precision sport. Golfers get to tee-off in serene woodland surroundings then drive, chip and putt their way around the historical course on the Commons.
Just 8 miles from central London, golf has been played here on the Commons since around 1865, when the London Scottish Rifle Volunteers, who were stationed here on Wimbledon Common, set up the first 7 holes. The course is the second oldest continuously played golf course in England and Wales, and pre-dates the formation of "Wimbledon Common" and the Conservators.
The course is unusual in that it is used by two clubs, each with their own starting point. The London Scottish Golf Club formed in 1865, start at their 1st tee, Elcho, which is the Wimbledon Common Golf Club’s 8th tee. Even more confusing, Wimbledon Common Golf Club’s 1st tee is Plateau, which is the London Scottish 12th!
The Royal Wimbledon Golf Club plays on a course adjacent to the Common.