The Commons

Wimbledon and Putney Commons consist of 1140 acres of open space and are made up of four areas:  Wimbledon Common, Putney Heath, Putney Lower Common and the Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields.  

Much of the Commons are a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Special Area of Conservation.  With woodland, scrubland, heathland and mown recreation areas – and have nine ponds.   They are the home to a wide variety of bird, animal and plant life.  Being an unfenced Common, the whole area is open to the public 24 hours a day throughout the year.  On an average summer weekend there are some 10,000 visitors and users of the Commons.

Owned by the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators (a registered Charity), the Commons are managed on a day to day basis by a staff of 23 under the guidance of the Chief Executive.The Commons are funded by means of a Levy on properties within three quarters of a mile of the perimeter of Wimbledon Common, measured by the most direct route along roads or footpaths, or within the old Parish of Putney as it was in 1871. This raises an income of just over £1 million a year.  Additional income is raised through appropriate commercial activities such as sports at the Playing Fields, log sales and filming on the Commons.